We are a yoga family. I started taking a class a year ago, and love it. My almost-7yo asked to learn some of the positions. And my preschooler’s teachers use it to center the kids throughout the day. So Good Morning Yoga is the perfect addition to our family library. The text is both lyrical and directional, each page guiding the child through a new pose and breathing technique. A summary of poses is included in the final pages, as well as directions for visualization. And y’all…these illustrations could not be any cuter. Bright colors, diverse, smiling faces. You can’t help but smile.
5 Ways Yoga is Like Reading
My favorite pastimes have always been yoga and reading. Check out how these two popular pursuits have more in common than you’d think.
- Shhhh…. Both yoga and reading are done quietly. What is happening inside is what matters most. And with each activity, the quieter you are, the easier it is to do.
- Develop those muscles! Yoga and reading are different kind of exercises, but both are strengthening and lead to a healthier you. Yoga is an obvious physical workout; creating increased flexibility and a stronger body. Reading develops those mental muscles and just like any other part of the body, it requires regular activity to keep it working at its best.
- Relaxation in Action: Everyone knows that yoga is a great way to slow down and de-stress. The wonderful thing about reading is that no matter what else is happening in your daily life, losing yourself in a great story is a wonderful way to find some inner tranquility and often much needed perspective.
- Imagination Central: Where else can you feel what it is like in your body to fly, or move like a snake in the grass? Where else can you imagine you are weightless in space or as large as a giant? Yoga poses, like reading, allow you to take your imagination on an incredible ride.
- Fun To Do Together! Doing yoga with your kids is a great way to spend time with each other and explore something new while learning to feel calm and awake mentally and physically. Reading together, it goes without saying, is one of the most wonderful activities you can do with your children because there too, you get to experience new worlds side by side.
One lucky winner will receive both books by Mariam Gates–GOOD MORNING YOGA and GOOD NIGHT YOGA, along with a full-color poster! (U.S. only. Giveaway closes at midnight on March 12th)